Friday 3 February 2012

reply to first enquiry

To
Mr. RM Elango
Dy. Shipping Master
Chennai

Dear Sir,
              For your kind information, your letter dated 22-06-2010 (letter no. 133/SM/CHN/08/131)reached me only on 3-7-2010. I promptly replied by e-mail on 11-7-2010. Unfortunately, somebody in your office seems to have blocked all e-mails from me. Suspecting something amiss, I sent my reply to letter dated 22-6-2010 by post on 17-8-2010 (registered post receipt copy enclosed), which you have acknowledged receipt of on 20-8-2010 (Acknowledgement Due card copy enclosed). I had also answered all your points by e-mail on 11-7-2010, Sunday, time: 18:47:36 hours. Have once again sent you all the particulars on 31-01-2011 (registered post receipt enclosed), which you have acknowledged receipt of on 7-02-2011 (acknowledgement card copy enclosed).

I have taken up this issue with SPIC and Essar Shipping. Their response has been a deafening silence. Neither SPIC nor Essar has replied to my letters and e-mails.

I have taken up the matter with ITF, MUI, IMO, OCIMF, Intertanko, P&I clubs, MMD Hong Kong, DOT UK, USCG, AMSA, DNV, ABS, LRS, BV, Greenpeace, Seamen’s Church, Amnesty International, Human Rights Asia Watch, and other Human Rights organisations. They were shocked by what is going on, on Indian ships.

I have taken up the issue with the Indian Government authorities as well. The response has been a deafening silence from MMDs in Chennai, Mumbai, Kolkata, New Delhi. I have written and e-mailed letters to Mrs. Lakshmi Venkatachalam, Director DG Shipping.

No, I am not in a position to substantiate and prove my claim in a Court of Law, simply because the Indian Senior Officers refused to give the order (banning ear muffs), in writing. As a Fifth Engineer, the junior-most officer in the Engine Room, I could not force them to give the order in writing. They insisted on giving the order only orally. When I requested them, they threatened violence and other dire consequences. The Captain threatened to tear my CDC and throw it into the water.

No comments:

Post a Comment